Sunday, March 21, 2010

Relationships, part 4

A thought struck me this week as I continued pondering on relationships. Actually, a few did. I'll share a couple.
Firstly, while thinking so deeply about interpersonal relationships, I noted that I've not really set forth nor have I set out what I'm looking for. Quite frankly I almost had no idea which qualities I want in a spouse. I love the counsel to aim high. But the other side is to not limit my opportunities, which comes by setting a bar or a standard. Pardon me for being blunt, but I'll not sell myself short in relationships, especially when it comes to choosing a spouse. Though I may look high and low, far and wide to find one, I will find one. So my bar shall be a little high, but I will not demand perfection or that she "fit the mold". Who am I to demand immediate perfection and not be forgiving or understanding when I am none of those things myself? Or what of the understanding and forgiveness that has been extended to me? Should I make it vain? I should think not. Rather I will be forgiving and understanding of another's past with the hope for the same. So here are a few things I'd like in a companion:
1-wants a temple marriage, as in nothing less will do.
2-will attend the temple with me as regularly as possible
3-will be faithful to me because I'll die before betraying her
4-can tolerate some of my short-comings and willing to counsel me with regard as to the best way to change them
5-strong testimony of Jesus, the Restoration, the priesthood, and the Book of Mormon
6-wants to serve a couple mission later in life
7-appreciative of all styles of music, can find the beauty in them but preferably with a love for motivating, uplifting and inspiring music (not necessarily church music because patriotic music meets said qualifications, truly romantic music can move one to love, etc...)
8-an understanding that I am a child at heart. I like to play with Legos (have for over 20 years now), go to parks TO PLAY on the jungle gym stuff, and animated movies (these also should be uplifting, inspiring or motivating).
9-wants a family and is willing to help me raise one
10-willing to live frugally, without many frills and nice things in life. I'm not one to want an expensive car, huge house with a gigantic lawn, a boat etc.
11-seeks out personal revelation to guide her life
Those qualities are pretty much a must. The following would be considered perks or bonuses if also embodied in the same person:
1-a returned missionary
2-plays piano (I'll work hard to provide one in the home one day)
3-lovely face (note face, not "hot bod" or such non-sense)
4-accepting and expects to receive chivalry
5-enjoys books, fiction and non-fiction, LDS fiction would be nice
Once more I state, I do not demand that she fit these qualifications perfectly or even mostly. Boiled down to the essentials, I want a wife who will be faithful first to the Lord and second to me. Now this is not a want ad either. I accept referals when offered but sometimes I'm slow at contacting them. I do believe that I'm in Saratoga Springs for a reason and that much of my time and attention needs to be devoted here :) there is no congregation near so important nor is there a group of people so important to me right now as this singles ward that I attend.

2 comments:

  1. it is a good idea to know what you are looking for so that you are not totaly walking blind in life one thing I rember is if that is what you want then you need to work hard to be that to lol but yeah I know we all have thoes list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say your list looks pretty good. Aim high.

    ReplyDelete