Sunday, January 3, 2010

A whim on affection

Today I feel to write about sweet affections. If there is a big reason to miss having a girlfriend it would be having a sweet gesture of affection come my way. I like cuddling on the couch and watching a movie together. I enjoy holding hands. Giving hugs is a joy. Even a sweet, soft kiss is good once in a while. Oh how I miss these demonstrations of affection.
Of those listed, I would say only kissing is truly to be reserved for a serious relationship. The others can be the precursors to a relationship and most certainly have their place in said situation. A kiss is a sign of affection and love, a silent, "I care" or, "I love you and I mean it" and hence should be reserved for special relationships.
A hug is the blessed universal gift that fits all and requires of us no commitment to the other person beyond that of being a friend. Hugs are awesome, but are sadly not exchanged often enough. A hug can be given for comfort, in gratitude, or friendship. Their wide application makes them ideal for any occasion.
Now cuddling and holding hands should, from my perspective, fall into some category between friends and steady dating. These could easily be forerunners to a more serious relationship, but should be used outside of a relationship with care. For certainly holding hands or cuddling show a measure of affection more than a hug. There is a degree of physical and emotional closeness that comes with either activity that a hug does not necessarily have. Use with cation and care. Have a real desire to date, and possibly marry, that person.
Having said that, I may have misused all four occasionally. But having never used any beforehand I hope that I have a small license to learn the proper place and use of each. One new year resolution, for me, could easily be to use correctly these signs of affection. Give more hugs. Use the other three (cuddle, hold hands, kiss) more discreetly and whole-heartedly.
I shall add to that resolution a determination to establish a new, more meaningful and lasting relationship. If possible, I'd like to get engaged this year. But a relationship that strong is going to be up to my efforts to be worthy of such, my diligence in looking, and the Lord's timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment