Sunday, January 31, 2010

Flying under influence of regulation

Today I feel to write based on a quote I heard in Sunday School. It was something to the effect that when we look at the light the shadows fall behind us. I take permission to compare that with our patterns of behavior. I often hear, "it isn't that bad" or "it could be worse" or even "such and such a thing is worse than this". True, whatever "it" is may be better than the worst available, but I don't care about the worst. The worst is of little interest to me. I want the best. I seek out the light. I want to see the light. I know that the source is the Lord. I don't care about the shadows behind me. I wish to walk and bask in the light. So I tend to look for the better, the best.
This is admittedly discrimination. My attitude places "limitations" on much entertainment. But do not tell me that creativity is not possible. Do not claim that I am anti-progressive. Quite the contrary. A kite can fly and it can fly high, but only if secured to a solid point on the ground. Only if secured by the line can a kite actually fly. It is then quite capable of doing wonderful stunts and surprising heights. If not restrained, the kite will lazy and haphazardly fall to the ground or meet an unsightly end with a tree or other tall object. Creativity under restraint brings inspiration.
Rules, regulations, standards of conduct, and laws all act in the same way. When used and followed the results are marvelous. When broken, we find ourselves, in the same manner as the kite, very broken.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I found your blog when looking at my wife's (Jeri Lynn's) Facebook stuff.
    A lot of "entertainment" out there is worthy of you as a priesthood holder. There are certainly many things out there that you should rightly avoid. People may say, "But it's such a good movie!" and if you're like me, you'll doubt their usage of the word "good". There are plenty of "good" movies that I've opted not to watch; I'm okay with missing out on anything good in them in exchange for missing out on the perverting, defiling, and foul things in them.
    Yes, creativity can thrive with limitations. Consider the usage of profane expletives in conversation. People allow themselves the usage of these words and end up being absolutely uncreative, with exclamations that may as well be grunts for as much meaning as they convey. By excluding these words from our conversation, we force ourselves to find meaningful ways to communicate; that's creativity right there. When writing, by deciding from the start that some things aren't going to be in what we write we force ourselves to come up with something else, and we can avoid producing the same garbage as so many others do.
    Hey, you might find my blog interesting:
    http://inspirationandmusings.blogspot.com/
    I don't think anyone other than my wife has read it for many months. Maybe you could try one of these entries:
    http://inspirationandmusings.blogspot.com/2009/12/most-important-message.html
    http://inspirationandmusings.blogspot.com/2009/08/knowing-now-hat.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, by the way, "anti-progressive" could be a good thing. The term "progressive" is politically loaded with ideas that have nothing to do with true societal progress and that fly in the face of the founding principles of our nation.

    ReplyDelete