Sunday, November 15, 2009

Where have my feelings gone...?

I recently had a conversation about emotions. Most days mine are dead, or so it would appear. My parents' divorce did little to move me. I shed tears of sorrow with both parties, but did not cry for my own loss. When told that I would be incompatible with someone I admire deeply, I didn't flinch. Didn't hesitate. My answer was quick, logical and dry. "What can be said?" was my response. When confronted for ineptitude at work, my stare is dry and blank.
I feel anger and frustration at times, particularly when I no longer feel in control of or at least aware of the situation. I feel impatient with my own imperfections.
So are these things called emotions dead? Not yet. However, I do worry that many of my emotions are negative, intense emotions. I'm glad I learned to suppress and control my anger. Frustration is still hard to keep a hold on, but I'm learning.
The emotions and feelings I feel are sometimes missing or fleeting are love and happiness. I feel viral. When I begin to like someone there are feelings of excitement to see her and contentment when we're together. Satisfaction is particularly fleeting. To feel real, strong love has yet to come.
The most disheartening is that in situations that would normally produce deep sorrow produce nothing in me. Unless resolve is counted. Logical analysis of the situation begins and leads into resolved action to correcting the present situation or avoiding it in the future.
Sometimes my emotions are suppressed but not fully and have a delayed response. I spent ten days in euphoric enjoyment of being home from my mission then suddenly a breakdown. Hot, sorrowful tears of saudades (a complete English translation is unavailable) flowed like syrup on pancakes. When one relationship ended the analysis began and I began looking again, almost immediately. However two weeks later when she moved away, it finally hit me what had happened.
I'm not emotionally dead I've decided but I have determined that my emotions are messed up. Delayed reactions suck. I've yet to decide if the logical approach is any better. Is it normal to react with tears of deep sorrow, loss or regret? Or is the best approach to move on quickly?

No comments:

Post a Comment