Sunday, November 29, 2009

Music brings beauty into life

Of the many topics that I feel strongly about, music would be among the top five. A small disclaimer I shall make note of first and foremost. I do not wish to establish my opinion as doctrine here. I will share my feelings, thoughts, and, yes, my opinion on music.
Last week I mentioned that I do not like to surrender my ability to choose what music will play. I don't like giving that freedom to a radio DJ whose values most likely are not even close to my own. This week I wish to mention the qualities that I look for in songs.
Firstly, I like music that has lyrics that elevate my thoughts to a new plane of thinking. I thoroughly enjoy uplifting lyrics. Sometimes I want to remember my covenants as a church member. Sometimes I want something that is fun. Sometimes, many times in fact, I want something that draws me closer to the Lord (hard to find any of these on a typical radio station, wouldn't you agree?).
When it comes to romantic lyrics, I like them to be about the action of love. Remembering anniversaries and important dates, bringing home flowers, valuing family above all else. Such words are hard to find most days. With regard to past relationships, sometimes I want to avoid romantic songs because they stir up those old emotions. Digging up those feelings doesn't help me move forward in life. Depending on my mood and thoughts that day, I may elect to listen to a romantically touching song or change to another composition.
When I hear lyrics that complain of a lost relationship or the related pain I often hope that the composer finds resolution. If not, I'll leave the song alone. I want my pain to be resolved. I don't want to wallow in it.
When my lyrical desires are met I often look at style (genre). Is it played in good taste? Is there a musical part that is overpowering everything else? Are the parts balanced? Is the melody somehow inspiring? Some of my music is instrumental and that is especially when I start to listen to the parts. I want to hear the individual instruments playing.
To speak the utmost truth, those are the major qualities I examine when I listen to music. I like to appreciate music. Rock often gives me a headache because much of rock slaughters one or the other requirement (sometimes both).
I would like to share some of the most profound and interesting lyrics I have heard (title, artist, and album are in parenthesis).
"Lord I need to know, my mind is playing games again, you're right where you have always been" (I will Rest in You, Mindy Gledhill, The Sum of All Grace)
"Have I blown all my chances to be less like the captive and more like the free?" (A Little More Like Thee,same)
"Oh great God, are you small enough?" (Small Enough, same)
"If anybody asks, I'm making friends at last with my reflection in the glass...I'm like a fire in the night, I'm burning up with all my might. Don't wanna flicker out of sick and fade into the morning light..." (Feather in the Wind, Mindy Gledhill, Feather in the Wind)
"I'm free to jump, free to fall, free to let it roll away when I drop the ball" (Falling and Flying, same)
"You will change the stars much faster if you trust yourself to open your own door, keep pushin' on" (Keep Pushin' On, Eclipse, For Show)
"The view I love the most is my front porch lookin' in" (Front Porch Lookin' In, Lonestar, The Greatest Hits)
I think those will suffice for now. When I remember more, I'll post them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment