Sunday, November 8, 2009

More good things . . .

I prefer optimism over pessimism. I prefer the happy memories and days over the sad ones. I recognize the need to remember the good things the Lord has given me. And I shall relate some of those good things.
Despite having a long stretch of new concrete to pave last week we only worked the weekdays. To top it off, three of those five working days ended before dark. True that two ended after dark, I'm happy to have been off earlier than usual most nights. Forget that I missed a class session and had no time to complete my final project, hence likely earning a failing grade...I had a good week. To place the cherry on top, the weekend was off also.
Not working through the weekend gave me the chance to go to Salina and see my family. For the first time I was not going there to work nor to mourn. I returned to my roots to celebrate with five generations of Crane family members the ninetieth birthday of my great-grandfather. A happy occasion indeed.
There was even time to relax and watch movies. I watched G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra whle I was there. I'm thinking the next time I see it I will utilize a clearplay DVD player. I'm not so appreciative of the language nor of the excessive violence. Good will overcome evil, but I don't need to see the mutilation nor the death portrayed in such a strong manner. After I, Dad and Clint watched Battle for Terra, easily one of my favorite movies of the year. Definitely worth watching that one, again and again. My favorite line comes from the last 40 minutes of the movie. "I believe that in our darkest hour, the same qualities which made us great will make us strong. That love and mercy will overcome anger and hate..." I too believe that in our darkest hour the same qualities which made us great will make us strong.
Last week I attended a fireside with President Uchtdorf. This one was directed for the young single adults of the Church. One part in particular inspired me. He told the story of how he met his wife and what he endured while loving her for years and not receiving any reciprocation. This was, of course, while they were both young. When he got older he traveled and became a pilot and returned home to Germany. She was still in the same ward. A small conversation with her led him to realize that the time to act had come.
There is someone I've always admired and respected. Always. When I attended her homecoming commemoration in August I assumed I had no chance (due to several conversations to which I was privy to listen). But I feel the time has come and I'm moving to action.
Also to brighten my week I was able to give my foreman a quadruple combination (Holy Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price) along with a The Restoration DVD. I'm hoping that in his darkest hour (his wife asked for a divorce Friday) he will turn to these books and find peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment