Sunday, October 18, 2009

Good things are happening . . .

This week I began to work more closely with my foreman. He doesn't have a particular religion, though he attended christian schools until the eighth grade. He's a good man who works hard and does his best to care for his family. He hasn't ever been a big church-goer, but he's a good man all the same. Thursday he, another co-worker, and I were shoveling dirt and dragging filter bags around when the discussion turned to religion. He asked several questions and wanted me to clarify some rumors about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I answered to the best of my abilities and clarified the rumors. We've discussed religion of couple of times now. Yesterday work was painfully slow giving us plenty of down time. While he and I were alone he mentioned that he has some new goals. He wants to get to know the church better and he wants to get married to his wife in the temple. I pondered on the conversation after work and marveled at the simple beauty of the situation. I don't brag that I did anything or that I was a huge influence on my boss. But I now see so very clearly the opportunity to do some missionary work. It's an exciting prospect. Who knows how long it will take for he and his family to get ready, but they will get ready. And I want to help.
Work has been light this week. Light in the sense that I haven't had to physically exert myself too much. Carrying the concrete baskets and laying them out or picking up the bad baskets and throwing them away requires some strength but overall it's been an easy week. Even better is that I put in well over 60 hours this week. That puts a good check in my account. That' all I'll say with regard to my pay.
Throughout the early part of the week I began feeling down and out. I think its fairly easy to see, if you know me well enough. I have a strange, stoic resolution that keeps me moving forward through some of the toughest times, but I do break down. Just as I was reaching the breaking point, I decided to put in a CD called "Beautiful Life" sung by Jenny Jordan Frogley. I had forgotten just how much I enjoy this CD. The positive qualities of her melodies and lyrics have given me such a boost the last couple of days. I love positive music. It keeps me going. It reminds me that there is much worth fighting for. There exists in music a strength and a spirit that could only come from the Lord himself. This CD exhibits such qualities that listening becomes infectious. I love listening to it, and probably will do so for several days now (an odd character quality I have yet to discern the origin of: able to eat, listen to, or do the same thing repetitively without complaint).

No comments:

Post a Comment