Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fear

Friday and Saturday were great days. A great weekend has begun, from the very start. My singles ward went camping at a place eleven miles outside of Kamas, UT. I love the ward camp out. I and another brother spent some time raising tents for sisters. I hiked up the hillside a little ways. Being surrounded by trees I deduced that the ridge would also be covered by trees and abandoned my climb to the top. Dinner was great. The variety show that followed was better still. The testimony meeting was inspiring. I didn't want it to end so quickly, but end the outing did. Better things are yet to come.
I mingled with many people. One young lady has really impressed me. She served a mission, has graduated college, and, as near as I can tell, lives a solidly Christian life. In short, she's virtuous. I've met many people, but none quite so strong. I wanted to ask her out, but held my tongue. I hesitated. Trepidation slipped in and I didn't ask her. Why did I let fear hold me captive?
Like I said, she's impressive. If a romantic relationship were to develop, I feel like there would be a lot to live up to. My rough edges seem sharper, harder somehow. Maybe fear set in because she seems so much better than I.
All of us face fear. It seems to have become second nature since the fall of Adam. After disobeying the Lord's command, Adam and Eve felt afraid. Since then fear has ruled men's hearts. Mankind has waged war because of fear. Some refuse callings from the Lord. Others lash out in fear.
God doesn't want us to fear. The "fear of the Lord" the Bible describes isn't the trembling fear we're accustomed to. It's love, respect and reverence. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. Therefore be not ashamed of the testimony of Christ..." (2 Timothy 1:7-8).
I used to seek out more supporting statements, but this one scripture suffices the need. Do not fear. Live boldly.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, go find her and ask her out. Be honest; say, "Hey I was really impressed with you the other night, and you're cute, and I want to take you on a date this Thursday." The worst that will happen is that either she'll say no, or that she'll say yes but after a while say, "Nah, dude, you're not good enough for me." In either case you won't be any worse off than you are now. Or she might like you just fine, and you might eventually get married and have forty-four kids and be happy. Or you might end up somewhere between. But it'll be better than never having tried, and never knowing.

    So yeah, if you're serious about living boldly, ask around and go find her.

    I daaaaaaare ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My curiosity is peaked! If you need a wing-woman, I'm here for you! And remember what President Monson said. "Now is not a time for fear, but for faith."

    If you need ANYTHING, including a boost, you know how to find me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jeremy! Look her up on Facebook! Maybe you will get lucky and find her!

    ReplyDelete