Sunday, April 18, 2010

Newness

Last week I had the blessed opportunity to sit in the celestial room of the Mt. Timpanogos Temple in American Fork and ponder and pray. I love going to the temple and really should have went more while I've been laid off. The answers and the counsel I receive there continually bless my life.
This week I have found a newness about me, a stronger resolve, a higher commitment. I find new meaning in doing things, especially the little ones. For instance, yesterday I looked around my part of the home (which is almost a studio apartment by now LOL) and began to wonder what really needed to be organized and put away. Even my laundry basket seemed slightly empty. I continued to examine and ponder on what could be done and as I did so I began to notice a few small things. The living room rug needed to be vacuumed. Some clothes on my floor needed to be put away. Some simple things such as these only took me half an hour to forty-five minutes to actually do. All the while I had clothes in the washer.
I also took the time to enjoy a few good books recently. The first was The Giver by Louis Lowery. Definitely a favorite among the books I've read. Second was an interesting mystery called The 39 Clues. Finally, I read another Lowery called Gathering Blue. The latter I enjoyed while sitting on my deck and enjoying the shade.
The newness within is quite welcome at this point. I'm feeling useful and even needed lately. I feel like what I'm doing is going to make a difference somehow. Part of my reacquired newness is due to the fact that I love the renewal of spring. The weather is finally perking up and I've enjoyed being outside. Even better is that I haven't spent countless hours and days confined to my living room, growing like a fungus on the couch while sitting on Facebook and watching TV. Getting out and being busy have reignited a spark in me, and it's about time :). The weather and the sky have been gorgeous and I've enjoyed watching the Lord's beauty around me.
Another contributing factor to my new found energy is that I finally have a job. It's not road construction, but it's a job. I won't complain. I'll be caring for the city parks of Saratoga Springs. It's a full-time job and I hope to thoroughly enjoy it. Once again I will need to arise at an early hour (which will allow me to appreciate the sunrise) and I will work longer days (10-hour shifts), but with this job I won't be working many, if any, weekends. Actually, working Friday will become voluntary, for the most part.
My outlook has changed and my heart is filled with newness as I face a bright new morning in my life and I start a new chapter.
I will stick in an small observation of the recent events. I recall what Victor Frankl said about the concentration camps. His experience taught him that if a man can find a reason to live he'll live through anything. Finding reason and meaning has pushed me into an about-face. I've found purpose in the things that I do. I have a reason to continue onward. Being busy ofttimes means that we'll be happy. Seek out the Lord's direction and follow His words of counsel and you'll find meaning and joy in your life. I've put this into practice throughout the better part of the last year, but especially this last week. My days have been filled and I'm essentially happy and at peace with myself.

2 comments:

  1. that is so cool shoot high so you will fall among the stars and enjoy the nice weather it fells great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am excited for your newness feeling. Jeremy thank you for being there for me to lean on. you always have great advise and i'm so happy you are my friend.

    ReplyDelete