Sunday, April 25, 2010

Favorite Scriptures and quotations

Today I'm thinking that I'll post a few of my favorite quotations. Some, yes, will be from scripture while others will be inspiring quotes from various authors.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-Nelson Mandela-

"We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."
-John F. Kennedy-

"Try a little harder to be a little better."
-Gordon B. Hinckley-

"Just do it."
-Spencer W. Kimball-

"I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul. In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud: Under the bludgeoning of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll; I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
-William Ernest Henley-

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in, forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day, you shall begin it well and serenely...”
"Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your father in heaven is perfect."
-Matthew 5:48-

"...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do."
-2 Nephi 25:23

"Yea, come unto Christ and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness..."
-Moroni 10:32-

"Wherefore, brethren, seek not to counsel the Lord, but to take counsel from his hand."
-Jacob 4:10-

"...let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God."
-Moroni 9:6-

"But as oft as they repented and sought forgiveness, with real intent, they were forgiven."
-Moroni 6:8-

"Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause? Go forward and not backward. Courage, brethren; and on, on to the victory!"
-D&C 128:22-

"Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God."
-Matthew 5:8-

"And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!"
-D&C 76:22-

"A man stands no taller than when he is on his knees."
-Unknown-

"...true love must include the idea of permanence. True love endures...Cultivate and be where the Spirit of the Lord is. Make sure that includes your own home or apartment, dictating the kind of art, music, and literature you keep there. If you are endowed, go to the temple as often as your circumstances allow. Remember that the temple arms you “with [God’s] power, . . . [puts His] glory . . . round about [you], and [gives His] angels . . . charge over [you].”7 And when you leave the temple, remember the symbols you take with you, never to be set aside or forgotten..."
-Jeffery R. Holland-

"I believe, I must believe, that in our darkest hour the same qualities which have made us great will make us strong; that love and mercy can overcome hate and destruction."
-Battle for Terra-

2 comments:

  1. Great post I love them all I could tell you put great thought into pick them and thanks for sheering it was just what I need

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy,

    I really appreciated this post. It was a great pick me up. I appreciated the one by William Ernest Henley the most. i am the captain of my soul.
    this was good to read and i'm not sure if you directed towards me at all, but it did help and i thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete